1. Based on “frequency of homosexual activity”?
Classifications: some are “more or less” homosexual, others are “exclusively” homosexual throughout
their entire history
2. Based on the “dynamics of sexual attraction” or “sexual orientation”?
- Absolute homosexuals – sexually attracted to persons of same sex only
- Amphigenic homosexuals – those sexually attracted equally to both male and female
- Contingent homosexuals – those attracted to their own sex when the opposite sex is not available
Type 1: “Exploratory” homosexuality
Happens during a stage in a person’s psycho-sexual Development “homosexual play” out of sexual curiosity, discovery or exploration.. Is NOT a sign of a homosexual personality
Type 2: “Occasional” homosexuality
No one is exclusively heterosexual; every personality has the animus (masculine) and the anima (feminine)
When a person’s animus and anima are not at peace with each other, one result is a sexual attraction to person of same sex
An experience of deep “emotional struggle” (doubts and fears about his/her masculinity or femininity). He or she needs proper guidance or professional help
Not necessarily an indication of homosexual personality.
Type 3: “Environmental” homosexuality
Prolonged homosexual relations and activity due to circumstancesor environment exclusively composed of persons of the same sex
E.g., prisoners act out their sexual needs with the only persons
available; one partner assumes the “female” role; but returns to
heterosexual lifestyle when freed from prison
E.g., (seminaries & boarding schools) adolescent students
develop their emotional capacity and discover their sexual needs
by bonding with same sex in the absence of the opposite sex
Not necessarily a sign of homosexual personality.
But without proper guidance and healthy relations with opposite sex,
it may lead to a fixed homosexual personality.
Factors / Causes of a Homosexual
1. Organic factors/causes?
- Imbalance secretions in the endocrine glands (e.g., lack of androgen in a male results to sexual drive to a fellow male)?
- Irregularity in genital organs and structure (e.g., “female build” of a male leads to homosexual desire)?
- Not conclusive due to absence of evidence (e.g., many homosexuals have perfectly normal build-up, and have normal endocrine secretions)
- Homosexuality is due to heredity (e.g. genetic characteristics contained in the genes we have inherited)?
- Homosexuality is due to pre-natal influences (e.g., “imbalance of hormones” before birth)
- Not conclusive due to absence of scientific evidence; though research is ongoing
A homosexual personality is a manifestation of levels of confusion in one’s self-awareness, self -understanding, and self-acceptance of one’s self-identity and one’s way of total sexual expression as male or female.
4. Confused relationships during the child’s crucial years of growth (e.g., when child is rejected by parent of opposite sex; seduction of child by parent; when parent is rejected by the child of the opposite sex)
5. Long-period of separation of the child from parents (prolonged absence of one or both parents may lead to confusion in role models)
6.Sexual immaturity vis-à-vis growth issues and problems (when one becomes “fixated” in the homosexual stage of adolescent years)
7. Mistreatment of one parent by the other (e.g., where father is cruel to the mother, the boy may hate the father and his male identity)
8.Other possible factors
- Cruel or excessive punishment for “sex play” during childhood; or excessive parental concern or anxiety about possible sexual misdeeds.
- Poor sexual information and misunderstanding.
- Satisfying homosexual experiences in early life may influence homosexual attraction later in life.
- Confusion in child’s sexual identification by being treated as though of the opposite sex.
- A child who cannot find affection in the home may find it in persons seeking homosexual outlet.
- Lack of effective role models (e.g., male as “Macho”; female as “Maria Clara”).
Lessons and Challenges
1. Always distinguish a HOMOSEXUAL PERSON from a HOMOSEXUAL ACTIVITY
2.NO ONE is a homosexual person by choice
3. Genital activity such as sodomy, oral sex, mutual masturbation, or pedophilia are NOT exclusively homosexual activities; they can also be heterosexual acts
4.Homosexual personality or homosexual attraction does NOT make one a sex pervert or an immoral person
5.Persons with homosexual orientation, attraction or preference can still live very chaste, moral, edifying and productive lives
6. Conquer “homophobia”
- Expose, challenge, and reject the distorted, misguided, and un fair designations, stereotypes and attitudes we have on homosexual persons.
- Help homosexual persons liberate themselves from the negative stereotyping they have absorbed and accepted from society
- Avoid moral judgments on homosexual persons simply because of their sexual orientation
Heterosexual people who know gays and lesbians personally as friends or as relatives are MORE ACCEPTING of homosexuals than those who do not know or have homosexuals as friends